CaliSports News

Ducks Extinguish Flames 5-4 In Overtime Comeback


The comeback kids struck again.

It was a disaster of a start for Anaheim as the Ducks found themselves committing penalties and allowing three goals off of five penalties, while not earning a power play of their own for the entirety of the game. The Ducks came back from 4-1 down to take the game to overtime tied at four, and finished it off 5-4 thanks a Corey Perry goal, giving Anaheim the 3-0 series lead over the Calgary Flames.

Anaheim, which won its last two games on power play goals surrendered one to open the scoring. Sean Monahan scored with assists from Troy Brouwer and Johnny Gaudreau to make it 1-0.

Then, on the Flames third power play in the first 10 minutes of the game, they scored again. This time, Kris Versteeg tapped home the puck from a couple of feet away with assists credited to Monahan and TJ Brodie, doubling Calgary’s lead.

The Ducks got one back with five minutes to go in the first thanks to a Nick Ritchie tap-in from the top of the crease, cutting the Flames’ lead to 2-1.

Calgary led 2-1 at the end of the first, outshooting Anaheim 11-6.

The Flames retook their two-goal advantage in the second period with a Michael Stone shot from the point made its way through traffic in front of the goal and past John Gibson.

Another penalty on Anaheim meant more five-on-four action for the home team. And once again, the Flames took advantage. The goal was scored off the skate of Sam Bennett and prompted the Ducks to change goaltenders, taking out Gibson and bringing on Jonathan Bernier with the score 4-1 in favor of the Flames.

Penalties continued to rack up for the Ducks, with Andrew Cogliano getting called for tripping with about seven minutes left in the second period.

The Ducks began to fight back with 48.2 seconds left in the second, Shea Theodore made it 4-2 Flames after the defender took a shot from the left board. Jakob Silfverberg nearly made it a one-goal game before the final intermission but his shot rang off the post with five seconds to go.

Anaheim had some momentum going into the break with one period to go, but the Ducks still trailed 4-2.

Bernier did well after relieving Gibson, making saves and keeping the Ducks in the game.

With under nine minutes to go the Ducks’ Nate Thompson thought scored a goal on a deflection in front of the goal but a review was called for to see if it was scored with a high stick. After the review, the goal stood and the Ducks were now only down one with plenty of time on the clock.

All that momentum and pressure in favor of Anaheim led to the game-tying goal. A shot from the point Theodore deflected off a Calgary Flame player and past Brian Elliott in goal, tying the game at four with 4:21 to play.

The comeback was not complete yet as the Ducks and Flames headed to overtime tied 4-4 after the Ducks trailed by three goals late in the second.

Anaheim took care of business quickly in overtime when Corey Perry flung the puck to the net and a deflection off a defender put the puck behind Elliott, who swung himself around and knocked it into the net.

Credit must be given to Randy Carlyle, who adjusted the lines and changed the goalies enough to get the Ducks goals and make the comeback.

The Ducks’ win makes it 3-0 in the series against Calgary. Game four is on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. PT.

Stay with us at as we will keep you up-to-date on all things Anaheim Ducks and the rest of the LA sports teams! All Cali, all the time!

Page generated in 0.702 seconds. Stats plugin by